Information Centre

Lighting Abbreviations

Display Energy Certificates (DEC)

A DEC shows the energy performance of a building based on actual energy consumption as recorded over the last 12 months within the validity period of the DEC (the operational rating).

The operational rating is a numerical indicator of the actual annual carbon dioxide emissions from the building. The various types of energy consumption from occupying a building must be brought together on a common basis so that the performance of one building can be compared with that of another. The UK has decided that the common unit should be CO2 emissions, since this is a key driver for energy policy.

This rating is shown on a scale from A to G, where A is the lowest CO2emissions (best) and G is thehighest CO2 emissions (worst).

DECs for buildings larger than 1,000m² also show the operational ratings for the previous two years where available.


The CRC Energy Efficiency Scheme (CRC)

The CRC Energy Efficiency Scheme (formerly known as the Carbon Reduction Commitment) is a mandatory carbon emissions reporting and pricing scheme to cover all organisations in the UK (excluding state funded schools in England from April 2013), using more than 6,000MWh per year of electricity.

The CRC Energy Efficiency Scheme (or CRC Scheme) is designed to improve energy efficiency and cut emissions in large public and private sector organisations. The CRC affects large public and private sector organisations across the UK, together responsible for around 10% of the UK’s greenhouse gas emissions. Participants include supermarkets, water companies, banks, local authorities and all central government departments.

For latest CRC information please visit and search for CRC.


Energy Performance Certificates (EPC)

Energy Performance Certificates rate the energy performance of a building. These are required for all buildings when they are constructed, sold or rented out.

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rates how energy efficient your building is using grades from A to G (with ‘A’ the most efficient grade)

You must have an EPC if:

  • you rent out or sell the premises
  • a building under construction is finished
  • there are changes to the number of parts used for separate occupation and these changes involve providing or extending fixed heating, air conditioning or mechanical ventilation systems


For latest EPC information please visit and search for CRC.